Until Tuesday night I had never heard of the term Liebster Award, and was very surprised to find a nomination for one waiting in my notifications when I was reading the responses to my Baked Peach Pudding recipe! Thanks to http://nomstheword.me/ for this vote of confidence! I have truly enjoyed sharing my experiences and recipes with you all over the last month, and it has been great getting to know so many of you through your blogs as well.
- Thank the person that nominated you and link back up to their blog.
- Answer the 10 questions which are given to you by the nominator.
- Nominate 10 other bloggers for this award who have less than 200 followers. (When I googled the Liebster Award, it actually said 3-5 people, so I hope no one is offended that I selected eight!)
- Create 10 questions for your nominees to answer.
- Let the nominees know that they have been nominated by going to their blog and notifying them, including a link back to your post.
And now, here are my answers to NomsTheWord’s ten questions.
1. I’m sure it says in your “about” page, but remind me and your other readers. Why are you writing your blog?
I’m writing my blog because I absolutely love food! I The name of my blog, Grow. Cook. Eat. Share. pretty much sums up my philosophy of food. I feel that it is so important to connect with the food we eat, whether we grow it ourselves, or support the farmers that do. I enjoy cooking and feel that cooking is essential to eating a real food diet. Eating for me is about sitting around a table with loved ones, being thankful to God for what I have, and appreciating the hard work someone has put into growing it. And sharing is and extension of the above… the enjoyment of connecting over a meal with family and friends, and sharing a connecting with the community around us.
2. What does your ideal evening look like?
A stay-at-home date night. The kids to bed early with no complaining; cooking a simple meal together with my husband; sitting down to dinner with a glass of red wine and grown-up conversation.
3. I know I’m stealing this one, but what is your favorite cocktail?
Well, you stole the question, and now I am stealing the answer 🙂 I was introduced to this cocktail at a little bistro in Vancouver the first year my husband and I were married. On the server’s recommendation, I ordered a French 75. The balance of sweet and bitter is very satisfying, and sip-able.
4. What is your #1 comfort food?
Does it have to be food? I love a piping hot cup of coffee with cream. It is one of those little indulgences that starts off my day.
5. Its summer time, what would you most like to be doing?
Our family loves going to Mayne Island every summer. We go to the beach, fish off the dock, go for walks and take the canoe out to drop crab traps in the bay. We enjoy making our version of “fish and chips” with the lingcod we catch, and if we’re lucky enough to find a Dungeness crab in the trap, we cook that up as well.
6. What was your most memorable vacation or travel experience?
My honeymoon in Paris is my most memorable trip. It was all about food and romance, and cafes, and getting lost in translation. Now every time our kids see a picture of the Eiffel tower, the always shout, “that’s where you went on your honeymoon!”
7. If you could make one change towards self-betterment, what would it be?
Stopping more to enjoy the moment. I am so busy on task during the day that I don’t always take the time to play with the kids, or put my feet up and take a breather.
8. What do you want to be when you grow up?
I would actually like to be a farmer in my next career. We dream of having a hobby farm someday, with an enormous garden, chickens, goats, a cow, and an orchard. I was an ESL instructor before I had kids. I still love teaching, but I would like to teach people about food and farming and cooking.
9. Do you get out of bed when your alarm goes off, or are you a hit the snooze kind of person?
I hit the snooze button, or pick up my phone and check my emails and stuff before rolling out of bed.
10. You’re attending a pot luck dinner, what are you bringing?
Salad! My answer is always salad with a homemade vinaigrette. Whether its a green, quinoa, potato, or pasta salad, I love getting in my veggies, and I also love showcasing the veggies we’ve grown when they are in season!
And now, my Liebster Award nominations go to….
City Meets Country http://citymeetscountry.com/
Frugal Fish http://frugalfish.org/
Gluten Free Fabulous http://carriegf.wordpress.com/
Girl Gone Farming http://girlgonefarming.wordpress.com/
Head In the Garden http://headinthegarden.wordpress.com/
One Love Farm http://onelovefarm.wordpress.com/
Radical Farmwives http://radicalfarmwives.com/
Rolling Bay Farm http://rollingbayfarm.com/
The 10 Questions for my nominees….
1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
2. What do you enjoy doing when you aren’t blogging?
3. Who is one of the most inspirational people in your life?
4. Where do you go to “get away from it all”?
5. What has kept you busiest this summer?
6. What has been your most successful experience in cooking or farming?
7. What has been your most epic fail to do with cooking or farming?
8. What is your favorite food and why?
9. How would you describe your region’s food culture?
10. What is your favorite childhood food memory?
Thanks again to NomsTheWord for the nomination! I look forward to hearing all of the answers to my questions, and getting to know these bloggers a little better!