Picnics, beach days, lunches on the go – it isn’t easy to pack along food that is appealing, healthy, and easy to eat while you and your family are out and about. This recipe has been a life-saver this past week, as I have been running errands and dealing with renovation issues. If it weren’t for this hummus, I probably would have succumbed to a drive thru window or two!
This bright, flavorful hummus is a satisfying protein which can stand in as a vegetable and cracker dip, or a sandwich spread; it can even be served as an appetizer at your next backyard barbeque. It is a great way to curb the hunger, and will provide you and the littles with all of the focus and energy you need to accomplish that to-do list, or keep up with a busy summer schedule.
Fresh Fiesta Hummus
1/2 cup dried garbanzo beans (chickpeas), soaked; or a 400 ml can – approx. 1 1/2 cups cooked
1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter, or tahini (sesame seed butter)
1/2 bunch cilantro – approx. 1/2 cup, rough chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 – 1 jalepeno, minced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1. Cover beans with three cups water. Soak beans for 12-24 hours, changing water at least once, half way through.
2. Drain beans, and rinse well. Place in a medium pot, with three cups of water, and bring to a gentle boil.
3. Simmer beans for approximately an hour, adding water if necessary.
4. Once the beans are cooked, cool slightly and strain the water; if using a can of beans, strain and rinse the beans. You can also remove the outer jackets of the beans if you have the time, which creates a slightly smoother consistency, but it isn’t necessary.
5. Place them in the bowl of a food processor, and add the sunflower seed butter, lemon juice, jalepeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin.
6. Measure the olive oil into a glass measuring cup. Then begin to puree the ingredients, slowly pouring the olive oil into the mixture.
7. Once the bean mixture is silky smooth, add the cilantro, and pulse until combined.
8. Serve with cup up veggies, crackers or tortilla chips. Makes approximately 4-6 servings (2 cups).