The leaves have all turned vibrant reds, oranges, and golds, and many are already on the ground. We are well into autumn and winter is fast approaching.
Green salads at this time of year might feel a little out of place – unless they are piled high with fall colours and flavours.
Sweet ambrosia apples, toasted pumpkin seeds, and chewy, tangy dried cranberries all compliment each other perfectly in this autumn harvest salad.
Dressed in a homemade vinaigrette of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and a splash of maple syrup – this salad is a perfect accompaniment for any harvest meal.
Autumn Harvest Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 mains, or 4-6 sides
6 cups washed greens
1 ambrosia apple, diced
1 avocado, cubed
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
1/2 cup dried, lightly sweetened cranberries
1/4 cup toasted, lightly salted pumpkin seeds
Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon unpasteurized local honey
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Wash all produce; place lettuce into a large salad bowl.
2. Chop apple, avocado, and onion if using, and set aside.
3. Measure cranberries and pumpkin seeds, and also set aside for serving.
4. Add all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a mason jar, put on the lid, and shake to combine.
5. Just before serving, pour about half of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
6. Add the apples, avocado, onion if using, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries to the dressed lettuce.
7. Pour the remaining dressing over the top and serve.