Breakfast on a lazy Saturday morning has lately consisted of these pancakes and whatever else we can find in the fridge or pantry to add to the meal.
These gluten free pancakes are fluffy, golden and delicious, much like the whole wheat pancakes we were accustomed to eating as kids.
But don’t tell our sprouts that they are packed with healthy almonds, chia and flax! This plate full won’t last more than a couple of minutes around here!
Kefir acts much like buttermilk, giving these pancakes a subtle tang, and adding extra body to the batter. If you don’t have any kefir on hand, don’t worry. They will still turn out perfectly with whichever milk you choose.
Kefir, Oat and Almond Flour Pancakes
Prep. time: 15-20 minutes (including resting time for the batter)
Cook time: 10-20 minutes (depending on the size of the pan or griddle)
Makes approximately 12 pancakes (this recipe is easily doubled or tripled)
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons ground chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 farm fresh eggs
Approximately 1 1/4 cup kefir, or milk of choice (Add the eggs to the measuring cup first; then pour in the kefir or milk to bring the liquid up to 1 1/2 cups.)
butter/ ghee/ coconut oil to cook the pancakes
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir thoroughly to combine, breaking up any lumps.
2. Mix together the eggs and the kefir or milk bringing the liquid to 1 1/2 cups, and then add to the dry ingredients.
3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, breaking up the larger lumps.
4. Let the batter to rest for ten minutes, allowing the flours to soak up the moisture and develop the proper consistency.
5. Scoop up approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook on a heated, oiled pan.
6. Spread out the batter a little once it is on the pan, so that the center of the pancake cooks through.
7. Add butter or oil to the pan each time before adding the batter to be sure the pancakes get crisp and golden as they cook.
8. Serve with bumbleberry sauce, yogurt, honey or maple syrup.