Happy New Year! I am so happy to begin another blogging year with all of you!
I recently shared my mom’s Easy Chocolate Sauce recipe, which we have been making for years. Lately, my mom has been wondering if she has a dairy allergy, so I wanted to create a sauce that was just as easy to make, and still tasted great! I experimented to come up with a chocolate ganache that is full of rich, dark chocolate flavor, and spreads like a dream straight out of the fridge.
This dairy free dark chocolate ganache is perfect to use for icing cupcakes; for a dessert fondue; as the filling of a chocolate torte with my Grain Free Almond Pecan Pie Shell; or to make a decadent hot chocolate or mocha. Or for the kid in you, stir it together with a bit of almond or peanut butter, and spread it on your GF or grain free toast!
Dairy Free Dark Chocolate Ganache
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Makes approximately 2 cups (500 mg)
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 cup good quality cocoa powder (fair trade if possible)
1/2 cup local unpasteurized honey, or maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
1. Combine the coconut milk and the honey or maple syrup in a medium sauce pan over low to medium heat. Stir regularly, until the coconut milk is melted and the honey or maple syrup has dissolved.
2. To make a sweeter chocolate sauce, add one quarter cup more honey or maple syrup. Keep in mind that the extra liquid will make the sauce runnier, and it will spread easier, but it will not ‘set’ the same if using it as the filling for a torte.
3. Whisk in the cocoa powder, and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Take off the heat, and add the vanilla, whisking well to combine.
5. Pour into a jar to keep in the fridge, or pour into the shell of the torte, and refrigerate. Freeze for about a half an hour before serving.